When I was young, the Howling II was a bit of a forbidden fruit. Mostly because my mother watched it and disapproved of the werewolf sex scene (I wonder why). In any case, I had to wait till I was a teenager to see this one. Oh boy, needless to say, it created a werewolf fetish that I kinda still hold today.
Howling II picks up right after the events of the first film. Karen White has turned into a werewolf on TV and been gunned down. Her brother, Ben (Reb Brown) attends he funeral and meets Stefan (Christopher Lee). Stefan is a monster hunter in an good old-fashioned way. Ben learns that Karen is still alive and that a werewolf “queen” is regaining power in Transylvania. They must destroy her to set Karen’s soul free. Ben head out with Stefan and reporter Jenny (Annie McEnroe).
Who is this all powerful werewolf? Sybil Danning! Yep. Kind of channeling Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS. She is an over-sexed (I don’t think that’s possible), leather-clad empress of a clan of shapeshifters. Can’t beat that!
The film bares no resemblance to the first film or the novel sequel, it exists on its own and therefore, should be watched accordingly.There are varying opinions of the film but it delivers on Christopher Lee in a silly role, and lots of werewolf sex. The film is not good but is so much fun that you can’t deny it.
As for the visual, the film looks fantastic due to the first good transfer it has ever had. The new 1080p remaster gives a sense of scope not present in the previous releases which makes the film look bigger than it actually is.
Since this is a Scream Factory release, it is loaded with goodies that respect the film! The film features:
- Audio Commentary With Director Philippe Mora
- Audio Commentary With Composer Steve Parsons And Editor Charles Bornstein
- Leading Man – An Interview With Actor Reb Brown – This a fun interview with original Captain America, Reb Brown. I haven’t seen him in years so it was cool to have him pop up. I think he needs to be in the next Expendables.
- Queen Of The Werewolves – An Interview With Actress Sybil Danning – Sybil Danning also looks great and offers her thoughts on the film which are filled with fun stories. It also shows how time heals wounds as she is now proud of the film.
- A Monkey Phase – Interviews With Special Make-Up Effects Artists Steve Johnson And Scott Wheeler
- Behind The Scenes Footage (In HD – From Philippe Mora’s Archive)
- Alternate Opening And Alternate Ending (In HD – From Philippe Mora’s Archive)
- Theatrical Trailer
- Still Gallery
The Howling II is available NOW from Scream Factory. What are you waiting for?